Thursday, November 12, 2009

Visual Diary: The Music Library



About three years ago, I traveled to the UK for my cousin’s wedding in London. It was an amazing trip, on which I managed to visit many museums, galleries, shops and sights. In case you missed my previous post, it was the same trip upon which I scored my “Devonshire Clotted Cream” tin. It was also on this trip that, on foot, guided by many maps etc., I managed to stumble across the ICA, located just down the street from my hotel, near Trafalgar Square


The ICA is an amazingly innovative and influential cultural institution that showcases a daily program of contemporary arts, ideas, film and culture in London. In addition, they have an amazing book store/gift shop. In fact, I think I actually spent more time in the shop than I did in the gallery. But anywho, it was in said shop, that I came across this amazing book, The Music Library


If you are at all interested in music and/or design, this is definitely a book you may want to invest in. And I say this because, like most art books, it ain’t cheap…but it definitely is worth the price. Featuring over 325 sleeves, plus an exclusive CD, this book is a “graphic joyride through some of the greatest unseen and unheard music ever made."


Throughout the 1960’s and 1970’s “Library Music,” also known as source, or mood music, was made for use in animations, commercials, films and TV programs. The Music Library is a fascinating compilation of cover art, showcasing beautiful Library LP's that were never commercially available and were manufactured in limited numbers. Collected by some of the top UK collectors, compiled by Jonny Trunk and published by FUEL, this book, is an amazing source of inspiration and endless visual stimulation. To prove it, I initially bought it as a gift, but later bought myself my own copy. Yes, this book was worth buying twice! 


Here I've showcased just a few of my favorite sleeve designs, but if you want to see more, be sure to check out the details on the FUEL website and perhaps buy your own copy. Enjoy!

No comments: