Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Tintastic: Clotted Cream





Second to the OXO tin, this Devonshire Clotted Cream tin is one of my favorites, in part, because of the story behind it. I got it while visiting London, England for my cousin’s wedding. Over the course of my four-day jaunt, I perused many London museums and galleries, and in doing so, I managed to come across Portobello Road Market: one of London's notable street markets, known for its second-hand clothes and antiques.


Photos from L to R; "Portobello Road, London, England," by Another_Noon'e Photostream, "Cream Tea.Jpg" by Wickipedia.com, and Personal Photo, London England © 2009 by Emily Quillen. All rights reserved.

Packed with little store fronts and ramshackle booths stuffed with vintage goods and yummy foods, Portobello Market is a collectors dreamscape! Among all the vendors, there were a few selling vintage tins. I saw sooo many beautiful tins that I wanted to take home with me, but this one had the right price tag, only £5…score!

The best part about this tin is that it is totally unique to England. Associated primarily with South West England, clotted cream is generally served as part of a “cream tea” on scones with strawberry, or raspberry jam. Traditionally used instead of butter, the cream is a true British delight and is oh, so yummy!

In addition to being a wonderful keepsake from England, this tin showcases a fantastic color combo of mint green, orange, white and black. I particularly love the graphics: the playful green stripes, the wonderfully adorned frame around the “Genuine Clotted Cream,” the jumping cow with a flower at the tip of its tail, and of course, the elegantly rendered ship on the top lid. What a mish-mash of styles and content, but oddly enough, it works… in a quirky British kind-of-way!

In case you’re wondering, the pic of me in front of the mini was taken just after I purchased my lovely little tin…I’m celebrating with some mulled wine!


No comments: