Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Providence Living: The Basketcases

Hello and happy Tuesday folks! Hope you all enjoyed your weekend and had a happy Mother’s Day. My weekend was pretty busy with the usual errands and a few fun moments with friends. On Sunday, I stepped out for a bite to eat at one of my favorite Providence restaurants, Tortilla Flats on Hope St. As I waited for my food, I noticed a couple of young women walk into the restaurant with baskets in their hands. Before I knew what was going on, one of them tossed an envelope in front of me. It was marked with a stamp that read, “basketcases.tumblr.com.” Naturally, I opened it. Inside of the envelope was a torn piece of paper with, “New Wave” written on it. Puzzled, I quickly took out my iPhone and visited basketcases.tumblr.com.

It turns out the letters (a.k.a "The Basketcases") were/are a part of a short lived art project executed by artists, "Sky & Nightingale." The basis of the project was to anonymously deliver, at random, 1000 letters over the course of 7 days. Apparently, every letter was different and represented a small part of Sky & Nightingale's personal reflections and life stories. The project came to a close on Sunday, with a rapid delivery of letters, to random recipients located anywhere between Thayer St. and Pawtucket, RI. Tortilla Flats was one of those locations and I was the random recipient of one of the remaining 1000 letters. Awesome.

Overall, it’s a great concept and a fun project that I’m super glad I was a part of, albeit at random. To learn more about it, be sure to visit basketcases.tumblr.com. You can read all about Sky & Nghtingale’s deliveries, as well as, some of the feedback they’ve received from recipients of their letters…so fun! I plan on checking back often to see if more insights/feedback come up as time goes on…should be interesting. Enjoy!

1 comment:

Audrey Ellis Fox said...

glad you appreciated the note! definitely keep checking out the blog...there will be a documentary up soon!

XOXO
nightingale