Saturday, January 2, 2010

Tintastic: Stafford's Improved Typewriter Ribbon




What better way to start off the New Year than, "improved." While home on Holiday vacation, I took full advantage of everything available to me...I ate lots, probably too much...slept even more than I ate, and caught up on some quality time with friends and family. I even had the opportunity to explore my grandfather's attic, thanks to my bro, who for many years now, has been renovating and living in my grandparent's old house. It's a beautiful turn-of-the-century abode, built around 1900, and packed full of everything reminiscent of the era, including a claw foot tub, which sadly, has been since removed. None the less, the attic unlike the bathroom, is filled with a number of collectible gems, including a few stunning tins, that I very quickly took possession of before they hit the recycle bin.

Above are a few photos taken of one of the tins, out of the four, that I scored from my grandfather's attic. Take a moment to admire its beauty...not only is it reminiscent of an era long gone...after all, what is a typewriter? Never mind, typewriter ribbon? When will you ever see this again? Oh wait, that's right, you won't. Take notice of its fantastic art deco elements, reminiscent of the 1930's, including the black letter "Stafford's" and the pillar-like serif of "Improved." Not to mention, the opaque navy ink, that eloquently highlights the decorative bronze shield motif and graphics. Even better, is the pattern that runs along the side of the tin; the graphics are monumental in their beauty. Really, you don't get much better than this, in terms of turn-of-the-century, commercial graphics. Amazingly enough, I've got three equally as beautiful tins to write about...so stay tuned and stay inspired...more tintastic lovelies to come soon. Happy New Year!

1 comment:

Karen said...

How I love a Tintastic posting!!!! The art-deco drapery design around the edge is really fabulous. They just don't make packaging like that anymore... so sad :-( Looking forward to the next post Cutie1