Thursday, November 5, 2009

Visual Diary: Graffiti Goes Cross Generational!


Hello Folks, another entry for the Visual Diary today. I’m happy to share this pretty amazing graffiti that I came across on the NYLON blog a couple of weeks ago. And although you may have already seen it, I’d like to reiterate how awesome I think it is. Not only does it reference Madonna, the 80’s pop icon (yes, I still think of her as such, because she was the hot-new-thing when I was growing up…and yes, that was in the 1980’s) but it also references, Andy Warhol’s famous portrait of the 1950’s pop icon, Marilyn Monroe. Whom, interestingly enough, Madonna has referenced many times throughout her chameleon-like career.



In a nutshell, this graffiti is the new millennium referencing the 1980’s that referenced the 1950’s, and in total, encapsulates the post-modern obsession with regurgitating what once was, in order to make something that is.

Unlike most creative and commercial attempts, I do believe this graffiti successfully combines the old with the new, in a manner that creates something that is very much cross generational and therefore timeless. I only hope that in the next ten years, tomorrow’s creative environment will do something other than vomit up the past and put a new spin on it. So to all of the creative peeps out there…myself included…let’s break bad habits like we broke the sound barrier! It’s time to move on.

PS: The NYLON blog, just today, featured The Sketchbook Project that I am participating in...so awesome! You can view my sketches here...Enjoy!

2 comments:

Barry Menard said...

Awesome and inspiring entry!!!

Mark R said...

YES... just say no to vomiting up the past :)