Sunday, November 1, 2009

Tintastic: SOLO Saffron


Check it out! Another lovely little tin from the collection; SOLO Saffron! And little it most certainly is…standing only 2.25 inches tall and just over .75 inches in diameter; this tin is one of the first few that I ever collected. Where I bought it and how much I paid for it, I can’t recall, but I’ve always loved the typography featured on this itty-bitty beauty. It’s also in fantastic condition and sports a wonderful red, white and blue color combo. I have to say, this tin is one of my most favorites. I especially love its red cap featuring just the brand name in all-white capitals! Beautiful.

It’s interesting to note that saffron is the world's most expensive spice by weight and is native to Southwest Asia. Apparently a pound of dry saffron requires 50,000–75,000 flowers (the equivalent of a football field’s area), some forty hours of labor and prices at wholesale and retail from $500 to $5,000 per pound! Seriously, now I understand why the tin is so tiny! More tiny tins on the way, so stay tuned and stay inspired!

No comments: