Monday, October 19, 2009

The Colonel's Super Dooper Guitar Party!

Poster designed by Jerry Clayworth.

Hello all! Hope you had a fantastic weekend despite the crappy weather. My weekend was rather busy, filled with studio work and the usual weekend errands; however I did step out, rather unexpectedly, on Saturday night to attend The Colonel's Super Dooper Guitar Party. Thanks to my friends Heidi and Ty and their persistent postings on Facebook, I came across a sampling of what to expect from this party in Pawtucket. I was sold when I heard this recording from Barbara Lynn, apparently it was her first single and a #1 R&B hit and Top 10 pop hit in 1962.


Held at The German Hall and filled with vendors, memorabilia, and a most amazing display of rare, and unusual guitars, this three-day event was unlike any that I had been to before in Rhode Island. I do believe The German Hall was the perfect setting for this event with its rather period-specific décor. Some of my favorite accents included: the gold lame curtains that hung above the stage, the sconces framed in gold and matted in pink fabric, and of course, the vintage posters advertising German beer and food that lined the hallways = total awesomeness.
Overall the evening was a welcomed blast from the past, the highlight of which, for me, was hearing Barbara Lynn perform. I was hoping to include a video of her opening song here in this post, however after many failed attempts to upload the video, I gave up and opted to post stills instead (click images to see larger). You’ll just have to take my word for it, she rocked!
Totally inspired by her performance, I managed to purchase one of her CD’s and was lucky enough to get her to sign it just before I left for the evening! Barbara Lynn is such a sweetie and a true inspiration, I feel so fortunate to have gotten the chance to see her play, as well as, meet her! Big thanks to The Colonel for bringing all of her talent, and that of many others, to Pawtucket! It was a blast.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I can't believe you went to a big guitar party, and you didn't in vite me!

Jerry Clayworth said...

What a blast this show was! I've designed posters for many New England & East Coast bands in recent years, and was honored to create the poster for this first installment of The Colonel's Super Dooper Guitar Party! I made the trek up to Pawtucket from South Texas, and it was WELL worth it! Lots of amazing musicians, crazy guitars, and I met so many cool people! I'm going to post some pix from the show on my website when I have the time (www.AtomicJukebox.com). Hope to do it all over again next year!