Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Visual Diary: Walter Bosse Cat Egg Cup


Image via Modcats
Just the other day, I came across this post on Maquette that featured miniature brass animals. And of course I found them to be adorable, but more significantly, they reminded me of a little brass kitty that I keep on my dressing table at home. So, out of curiosity, I clicked on the link provided, which led me to Design Within Reach, where apparently these little animals are available to purchase. It turns out the tiny sculptures are modern reproductions of those that were originally made around 1950 by the artist Walter Bosse.


Top image via Modcats
Not being at all familiar with Walter Bosse, I naturally did a Google search and to my delight, photos of my brass kitty showed up in the image results! I clicked on one of the images and found out that Walter Bosse was an Austrian designer who specialized in designing and making pottery figures and ceramics. Later in his career, sometime around the 1950’s, he began working with metal and started making animal miniatures of the so-called Black-Golden Line; an innovative technique where most of the brass is patinated black, with only a few small areas that are polished. Also in my search, I discovered that my brass kitty is not a ring holder, as I use it, but rather, an egg cup! And apparently it’s an egg cup that could very well be worth anywhere between $45.00 and $69.00! That’s quite a difference from the two dollars I spent for it at Brimfield…woohoo!


Top image via Modcats
So, I’ve included some photos above of an “original” Walter Bosse Cat Egg Cup and photos of my Cat Egg Cup. I do believe my Cat Egg Cup is an original, but I should probably consult a professional to confirm…Antique Road Show, anyone?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Am I glad I read your comments on Bosse and your experience . . . fun reading, I relate, AND I'm hooked on Bosse (uh oh). I have seen the Bosse mark (not that of Haller, his associate) and never seen the mark on your egg cup. Makes a great little catch-all whatever is put in it. Keep your comments coming and thanks a lot.

puddinhead said...

I have two of these - one in brass & another in aluminum both made in Germany. I show my age knowing that these are really gum holders. Yes, people used to save their gum for more chewing enjoyment(?) later. I recall doing this as a kid fifty plus years ago. I don't know if it was for economy or because gum was considered a special treat or if it was a hangover from my parents' experience growing up during the Depression. A gum holder. Chew on that.