Monday, November 30, 2009

Pattern Play: Knockout


Happy manic Monday to you all, hope this finds you well! I’ve got some exciting new patterns to share with you today! Aren’t these crazy? Collectively, they’re called Knockout! I created them using three very old drawings that I drew while I was attending the SMFA in Boston. I came across the drawings a year ago, when I was moving studios, and just now decided to turn them into patterns. 


I totally love the way the patterns came out! I tried changing the drawings a bit, by adding black here or there, but in the end, it was the original drawing that made the best pattern. I even decided not to add any color, since I thought the black and white suited the repeat really well. 


I especially like how the black stripes contrast so boldly with the white background, and how the montage of geometric shapes in the foreground, create a lovely grey tone that floats across the surface. Eventually I would like to develop these patterns into color ways, but for now, I think they’re perfect just the way they are! If you have any color suggestions, feel free to leave a comment. I would love the input!

{Be sure to check out more patterns from the Cosmos Collection here}

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Love these! They have a cool "trompe l'oeil" effect. The straight lines look bulgy, and the lines thicknesses, although the same, look different. Nice work,Emmy!

Anonymous said...

Your blog keeps getting better and better! Your older articles are not as good as newer ones you have a lot more creativity and originality now keep it up!